Friday, March 7, 2008

Dreams


Hello all!

Castellano: This week has been one of my favorite weeks. I feel like I am starting to grasp Castellano, and I even dreamed in Spanish the other night! I woke up and felt so happy. Also this week, in class I got to share a little bit about my running, it was interesting trying to tell my class that I have run a double marathon distance. Each student is assigned a section of the newspaper. The past few works I intently studied "Barca" the most famous futbol team here. (soccer) They are quite amazing. In case you are wondering about Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldhino... I can tell you much... Anyways this week I am studying Culture and it is really cool to hear about the cultural aspects of this country. There has been so much talk about there elections here. The sad thing is is that there are two opposing parties and if you ask almost anyone, (I have asked my family, my professors, and fellow Spanish citizens on train rides etc,) and nobody likes their candidates. I am thankful for our elections, that even though we don't believe EVERYTHING at least we can have credibility in much of our government. We have a system that works.

Also this week in class, we were discussing holidays, and traditions. Each student is encouraged to talk, and as they speak, everything they say, which is wrong, is corrected. (Intimidating huh?) Well the question was "What traditions do you have in your country that you feel are losing what they once stood for?" I spoke of Christmas and what it is commonly recognized as and what I believe it should stand for. My teacher looked at me and asked if I was "religious?" I answered yes because I knew that was the best way to describe what he was seeking, and he then asked if I was "Protestant." I also answered yes... this may seem so small but I was thankful that God opened a door for my teacher as well as my classmates to know I was a Christian and hopefully I am shining bright so that they may know the love of the Lord.

Culture: This week = Culture. In my previous class we had a woman from Germany. She is great, 33 and an architect living in between Spain and Germany. She is very smart and cultured. She took me and another American around Barcelona and explained so many of the streets. It is really cool because even the tiles on some streets are decor and the design of such brilliant minds such as Gaudi. Also in pic above, there is me, Zoe (GA), and Katarina, the intelligent and cultured architect. We are standing in front of the Sagrada Family. (Google it) Also, today I went to the Picasso museum. It is rather interesting because it is literally tucked in to this small street in Barcelona.

Cumulation: I have had a lot of alone time this week, but it has been great. I was on the metro by myself the first time this week. Michelle and I go together always, but I was on the metro in the middle of Barcelona and got to figure me way around... Also this week I have been trying to be just as studious as when I started here. This Friday I am excited because I will get to go with a friend to the gym in BCN, and then we are going to see "27 Vestidos." (27 dresses, as in bridesmaid dresses) As in a girl has numerous occasions of being the bridesmaid but never the bride. Sounds familiar. I struggle with waiting for the right one. I know God has a plan it's just difficult to see many, many, many people you love and care about all get married and wonder why that type of love has not come?

I thank God for the opportunities that I have to travel. I have even secretly hoped that I can go away next spring. That would increase my level of Spanish so much. Well adios, espero que tengais una buena semana, con todo mi amor.

3 comments:

Betty said...

ah Kris! I can't wait to see you. I love to read your blogs, but I want so much more to hear from you in person! And I have so much to share that I don't feel like leaving in a comment. This has been such a trying time for me lately. The journey forward in my life right now leads directly through my past ironically. hmmm. Not always pleasant. But I realize the pain is the healing kind. Growth. So I wonder if it's painful for the caterpillar when it has to roll up in it's cocoon and go through metamorphasis to become a butterfly? You think? :) oh I want to be a butterfly! I want to be a butterfly!...it's 2 am...I think I just need some sleep! I love you! I've read some great books recently that you would enjoy as well.
ps. Picasso museum? I am SOOOOO jealous!

stephanie said...

I am sooooo glad that you had such a great week! Jim's mom is in the hospital and has been half the week. Been kinda hectic here. I love you buuuuncccchhhhh'sssssss!

Renee said...

Hi Krista -

We would love to come to Barcelona and what better time than when you are there! But will you be there? Could you please write back and let me know your plans for Easter and the weekends in April?

I have been enjoying your blog. It sounds like you are making the most of your time in Spain. I saw you are coming to England, could you also let me know the dates so we can make plans? Will you have time to come stay with us? Hope so!

Love, Renee