Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mountains....

Adventures: This has been the week of mountains. Michelle and I visited Montserrat yesterday, a beautiful site here in Catalonia. It started with a train ride up the mountains and ended in a site with a vast overlook as well as a Catholic monastery. Michelle and I went into the monastery which was beautifully crafted. The outside was an enclosed plaza with three of the four sections of the monastery, small balconies of windows where the priests live and the fourth wall the entry into the church. As we entered there was a mass going on, so we sat and listened for 15 minutes or so but as it was in Catalan, we understood nothing but it was still an authentic experience.

The outside was an array of mountains. The gift shop had a number of books, one which I bought on the history of this mountain (a children's book in Spanish.) I also bought incense for my mom and some other gifts. During our trip we met a young mean from South Korea who had studied in the US.

The other mountains this week were merely right in our back yard! Michelle and I venture to run during the week and I was soooo tired of running the same loop so we asked our host family how to get to the top of this mountain. He explained it and then there we went. It was wonderful getting on a trail. Today I ran on the mountain, it was a great change of pace. I also discovered a few other small trails.

At home: As side from the outdoors, I have also seen a bit of indoors as well. The beginning of this week Michelle and I went to our host mother's mom's house and I rested all day. We first went to church, all in Spanish and then came home, ate Paella, watched a bit of "Bounce" with Ben Afflect in Spanish, and then I passed out. Also biology has keep me in the books.

** Special note: I also ate cheese this week....some of you will appreciate that :-) Our host family asked what I would like to eat for "cena," dinner and I told them pasta with vegetables. I received tortellini, (filled with ricotta cheese), but not to offend I ate half. It was actually good but a bit rich.

Personally: This week passed much faster than last week. I was very homesick last week and even considered coming home a month early. Thank God everything is going much better. We start our first Spanish classes Monday which is really neat. It will consist of four hours a day, 5 days a week studying at www.uab.es We are really excited.

Also each night after dinner, our host family discusses different issues with us. I have been really encouraged and open to a lot of conversation topics. Our host dad knows that we are Christians and also discusses his view of agnosticism. It is rather interesting hearing what he has seen in his life and what has really stood out to him. The other night he said, "people's actions are what really speak to me." He was talking about American missionaries (from an aspects of religions) who had sacrificed time and money to come to his home country Peru and what it really meant to him. So words have not really impacted his way of beliefs but the way that people had shown love is what has impacted his heart. That really stuck out to me in the way my life has headed and future decisions that I will make on what path my life will go and who I have the opportunity to care for and love. It is rather easy to be comfortable so I hope by God's grace I will be obedient to help those that really need it.

Much thanks for all the encouragement. Miss you all dearly.
Much care and love

Krista

2 comments:

Betty said...

i love cheese
:)

Mellie said...

Hey girl...just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to me...
Love ya girl,
Melissa