Saturday, January 26, 2008

Dogs

Spiritually: Spain has been a great time to really think about a lot of things. I find myself in the mornings feeling much less stressed and able to read and really devote myself to God, to what is most important. I am going through a Beth Moore series on David which is really teaching me about waiting for what the Lord has for me. (1 Samuel, story of Hannah)

Physically: There are some ferocious dogs here in Spain. It has taken me everything in the past few days to get up to run. I am still on VA time because I have been staying up until 2 am to make phone calls since that is when everyone is up on the other side of the world. So getting up has been 11 and 12 o'clock, and then reluctantly I have been trudging along for a morning jog. The other morning, Michelle (the brave girl I traveled to Spain with,) and I were on a morning run and a woman was walking her dogs. Before we knew it, the ferocious one (the tiny dog, it's high pitched voice was charging at us) but...so was it's brother a rather LARGE, HAIRY black dog. Michelle and I decided to power walk hoping that this would slow the dogs and it did for a second or two. Next we decided to stand there and I turned to Michelle kind of laughing and then I felt a pinch...the big dog had bit me right on my behind!

That has not stopped the morning runs, but it has made me more aware that dogs really will bite...

This morning I was running a large pack of cyclists rode by me, it made me fell so good seeing others on there bikes getting out in the fresh air. Also this morning I looked around me as I was running up a hill (that's right running up the hill-- some of you will get that :-) and it was rather beautiful. There is a set of mountains that I am dying to go to called Monsarat.


Socially: This week has been a lot of fun. Michelle and I ventured to Barcelona again. It was busy as usual and we decided to take a bus tour. SOOOOOOOOO boring that I decided to sleep for the last hour of it. A waste of 20 euro and with the dollar being 68 cents to the euro, that was one expensive ride. After the boring ride we went to the Hard Rock Cafe' and I ate a veggie burger, mmmm. Although that was tasty, everyday our host family, who own a restarant cook us paella, a typical dish or some kind of fish. I love the food but sometimes it is hard for me to eat because many things are fried. Also I do not eat cheese so that has made things a bit interesting at times. My one desire that I have not restrained though is DESERT. "Postres..." are fantastic. I'm posting a picture so everyone can see more of what I mean.

Start classes coming February 4th. That means I will be taking an intensive Spanish course and taking my biology online at the same time. A bit nervous about this.....

Emotionally: It has only been a week here but many times it feels longer. I guess I am really used to the routine at home and being away is hard. I miss Panera, long runs on Saturdays, even Olive Garden sometimes. It is a great culture change, and although I am getting used to it, it is hard not to want to know everything all at once. I realize so much that I want to speak the language but it is not coming as fast as I had hoped. I know all will go well in time. Miss you all.

Krista

5 comments:

Betty said...

Love you Kris! I'm right with you! Although I am not in another country...I am on the other side of the country - far from familiarity! My heart goes out to you chica!
xoxoxo

brad said...

I want to know more aboout your dislike of cheese. I completely understand the love for "postre's" though! I have a giant piece of Manchego cheese from Spain in my fridge that was given to me from a Spanish friend. It has gone untouched for months. Today I will eat some in hopes of inspiring you to try new things(i,e,.cheese)! Remember also that being uncomfortable is usually a sign of growth. You grow girl!!!

iris said...

i have heard of running with the bulls in spain but never running with the dogs. be carefull. my grandchildren are the best iris

stephanie said...

you know krista, dogs are why my brother, Steve quit the post office! lol!!
you look so beautiful in the pic!
i could not live without cheese, but if i did i know that my weight would drop......
i love you! Go Girl! What a great opportunity for you to really grasp the language! i am jealous....
and........i bet that many other spanish dogs are jealous that they didnt get a piece of your behind!
ha!
love aunt stephanie

mom said...

hello my angel. i love and miss you but i am so excited about your expirence you will have in spain. be careful of those dogs. i am also terrified of dogs. i do understand being scared. you need some mace to carry. i love you very much. i will write soon.
love always mom