Sunday, July 12, 2009


This week I went to Church of God youth camp. The theme for the camp was "That 70's camp." It was a beautiful time. First of all I will preface this by saying that I was part of a Bible college, an extension of Lee University. This college was the one from which came the "Everything" drama by Lifehouse. We are just a small group of people trying to follow the voice of God. Well during the time I spent with "mission" (mission Virginia then, now mission Baltimore), I grew immensely. Not only was I discipled; however I grew in relationships with the people who are now my closest friends. As soon as I arrived on campus, I was encompassed by Jessica and Mike Niedermeier. Then the youth directors, Pat and Jan Wright. I see these directors as following the Will of God. It was so refreshing to see a married couple who had put first God's Kingdom. They took time to greet the staff and really thank us for time we were investing in these young students. After the introduction I caught up with a number of other people, Alicia (a young lady who served with Jessica and I as staff our third year at mission.) Gary, a close friend who worked sound all week. It is so nice to get a Gary hug and just have someone like him listen. We are a number of people from all over and yet when we come together, it is so special. It is as though the time apart does not matter, there is still a bond so strong that we can pick up from where we last left off. When the students arrived, we all shuffled to our rooms. (Jessica helped me unpack my not so minimalist back seat...which included a steamer...ha ha), and then the ladies started to arrive. I had eleven girls in my cabin. They were from Parrott Church of God and Chilhowie Church of God. As they entered the room, I was studying for my upcoming GRE. I was have sounded so presumptuous when they asked what I was reading. Sometimes I fear I come off to people as prissy. This is partially due to my fast talking and California type voice. Later on, it is true, I learned that they did not they were going to get along with me bc of the way that I sounded. After they had arrived, the week began! We had service the first night, and my former pastor (who is very much like a father to me), preached. The girls were open to the way God was speaking to them and I tried very hard during the week to build valuable relationships with the ladies. Last week by far, was not the easiest week for me personally; however I realized by allowing God to work in my weaknesses, He was glorified. One example of this was on Tuesday morning, we had a devotional and I just quickly reminded the girls that they were all there on purpose that week. That God wanted them there and that is the reason they had come and more than that, according to Ps 139, even in their mother's womb, God thought of them. Later that night, Tim brought up that verse and I think it really hit home for the ladies. Because the girls were from two churches, it was an interesting dynamic. (They were both VERY country); however many attended different high school's within their county, so molding the gap all week was work. When we did start to mesh, we began to laugh and giggle and eat lots of crazy food, win many consecutive tug of war games and also bond with our boy's team. One special moment I can think of during the week was sitting with our boy's team and playing spoons. I was laughing so hard! Some of those boys are so good! By the end of the week, I had seen my girls bond together, learn about brotherly love, experience fun times at the pool and open hearts for God's call to go into the world for their schools. One of my favorite parts from the services was when after we had prayed, a student came up to the speaker and with his dyed black hair, skinny jeans and dangling ear phones, said he needed to say something. What pursued was so special and will reside that way in my heart. He spoke about how we really need to be intentional about those around us, because "we need them in heaven with us." That brought me to tears.

Another special part for me was spending time with NEW mission students. One night I had to leave camp and drive back to Lynchburg, and on my way back I bought some necessities for the students. I thought back to when I was in mission and I was poor. Many times not knowing how I was going to afford to do my laundry. Chatting with the students and hearing how much they were growing makes me reminisce to how much I grew and how investing time for God for a few short years really transforms one.

After camp, I have looked forward to returning home. Upon my arrival, I was a bit excited to see everyone from the Spanish ministry in Lynchburg! Today was Kimmie's last day and we all went to lunch at Fiesta Tapatia (or something close to that.) I drove her to her car and we said our goodbyes. Also upon returning I decided to go to Guatemala. I am going from July 20- Aug 3. After this, I am heading back to Kansas to meet my sister's baby!

As far as my picture that I am including...this week I decided to go the market in Lynchburg. They had flowers for 50 cents a stock. I bought two. As my pastor's wife Laura and I are going through discipleship, there are some very special parts to the book we are reading. "Captivating" describes how beauty is essential to all women. How God created us for beauty. That no matter what happens in this life, God has made us for beauty. When I was walking back to my car yesterday I almost cried just looking at the flowers. That God would know how very special it was for me to reach out in a camp beyond my personal matter, that God re opened an opporutnity for me to serve him and that even in the little things such as seeing a beautiful set of flowers, He can speak to me. Looking forward to more of that....

No comments: